The Mattatoio, the Ex-Slaughterhouse, is one of the major projects of post-industrial regeneration within the contemporary city of Rome. The ancient slaughterhouse was abandoned in 1975. Today the building houses the School of Architecture of the University Roma Tre, the Mattatoio (Museum of contemporary art), the Pelanda Theater and the City of Alternative Economy. The project was completed in September 2007. The restoration work ended in 2010. Located in the heart of the historical district XX-Testaccio, the architectural complex of the old slaughterhouse of Rome, was built between 1888 and 1891 by the architect Gioacchino Ersoch. It constitutes an important historical example of monumental and rational industrial architecture of the late 19th century.
The Mattatoio: Two pavilions were assigned to host contemporary art exhibitions.
The City of the Alternative Economy is dedicated to organic farming, fair trade, ethical finance, renewable energy sources, open communication, responsible tourism and resources recycling and reuse.
The Pelanda: A fine example of industrial architecture, the Pelanda is an impressive space of about 5000 square meters. Here the slaughtered pigs where peeled. Today the spaces are dedicated to events of dance, performance, research theater and contemporary music.
in front of us